Re: Northgate Keyboards

At 08:27 PM 2/20/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Just curious - (Never hear about Northgate nowadays)
>How many of you out there use a Northgate keyboard?

I used to use them until the last one broke and then I bought MaxiSwitch
ProKEY 124 because it is fully programmable--it can assign a macro to a key,
and all macro's can be turned off/on with a keystroke (though an awkward one
to reach). It's very helpful if you switch back and forth from Xy's .kbd to
W95--you program the required windows keystrokes to your usual Xy keys.
E.g., dating from Wordstar days, I use ctrl-Y to delete the line the cursor
is on. Simple to make Xy's .kbd do that, but then Windows has a different,
multi-key sequence required to do that, so I program that sequence onto
ctrl-Y as a macro. And the keyboards hold their programming when power is off.

>Count me in. God designed the function keys on the left-hand side, and for
>a long time after Man unilaterally changed that design, I found it really
>hard to cope with my clients' keyboards!

I agree! and the ProKEY 124 has BOTH the left-hand function keys AND the
ones at the top (which can then be set to be shifted function keys, macro's,
or whatever).

Regards,

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx