Re: Off topic--spam, why does it work?

Harry Binswanger wrote:

> I'm sure there must be an answer for the following puzzle, but why is it at
> all difficult to track down spammers? After all, they are advertising
> things that they very clearly tell you how to buy. (This applies to
> advertising spam, not to viruses or worms).

They usually go to great lengths to conceal their true identities and true
locations, perhaps because a lot of what they are selling is utterly worthless --
even if you exclude the many offers that are outright fraud. Also, the methods by
which they are disseminating their messages are deceptive, may be borderline
illegal, and definitely violate the rules of umpteen ISPs. Given those
circumstances, if you were doing this, how easily would you care to be found ?

Jordan