Re: Footnote file problem; Off topic, purple prose

I had some suggestions, but I see this has been solved. And yes, chain
printing will do it, I'm pretty sure. Even if the footnotes renumber for
each "chapter," that's actually SOP in publishing work with lots of
footnotes (Leslie Bialler will back me on that, I'm sure; we did it all
the time when I freelanced for him at CUP).
	I'm not sure the memory limit (though I agree we need a 32-bit XyWrite)
is all that much of a flaw. One of the things I learned when editing on
computer is that it is a Good Thing to break a long piece of writing up
into smaller files. Partly that dates back to the days of DOS and its 640
K limit, but even with scads of RAM, it's more efficient to, say, make
each chapter a separate file and chain print them at the end. Esp. given
XyW's ability to search across files. And believe me, Windows bloatware
word processors (Word and WordImPerfect) can choke--with far worse
results--on too-large files too; and their files are always larger than
the same amount of text in Xy.
	What do they mean by "purple"? Yes, the sentence is long, but it's
perfectly well-constructed (I make my living catching grammatical and
syntactical errors, and there wasn't one there that I saw). Rather
old-fashioned, but so what? Nor was there any incongrous vocabulary
("pardie, forsooth, albeit," or even such proper but rarely needed terms
as "multitudinous, paranomasia, hysteron-proteron, perichoresis" and the
like). The only problem was that the style was inappropriate for the
topic involved. If I found a sentence like that in a translation of a
16th-century chronicle dealing with, say, Sufi mysticism, I'd not change
a thing.
Patricia