Re: Upgrading: Precautions before

Norman Bauman wrote:

> At 11:55 AM 1/10/03 -0500, Emery Snyder wrote:
> >
> >One caveat though: I've found that in copying the whole Xy setup from
> >a CD, Windows tends to want to make all the directories and files read
> >only, which will prevent various parts of Xy from working. So after
> >you copy the stuff from the CD, you have to change the status of the
> >files.
>
> That's because when you copy files to a CD-R, they become read-only files
> on the CD-R. When you copy them back, you're copying them as read-only
> files. According to my reading of the help screen, XCopy should the read
> attribute, but I haven't tried it.

In my experience, using XCopy (at least the versions from DOS 7 or from OS/2)

*does* strip the r/o bit, when copying from a cd to some other non-cd
location.
I think this must be deliberate, and was therefore an intelligent design
decision.

> I agree that it's a snap to change attributes with ZTree.

Or most other file management tasks, for that matter. In case anyone was
wondering,
the program is available for both the Win-32 and OS/2 platforms. A
dual-platform
license (via the online shareware registration clearinghouse BMT Micro) set
me back
all of 50 bucks a few years ago, with **numerous** free program upgrades ever
since.
Probably the best 50 bucks I ever spent on software ! Any prior user of the
DOS
XTree program already knows how to use the core feature set -- most of which
has
been drastically improved, starting with removing the memory limits -- and
the rest
of what ZTree offers can be explored at one's leisure.

The one advantage I can think of that is retained by Explorer (because it is
essentially
part of Win, under the hood) is its' ability to install or launch Windows
programs.

Jordan