Re: NB and Xy

Well, I just spent some time poking around, and here's what I
discovered...

Look at the file \nbdemo\users\nb.ini

There is a section called [Startup]

The lines that follow are our old familiar commands from xwstart.int,
with some oddities. Ferrinstance...

load &user&nb.kbd=

is the equivalent of

BC load xw.kbd XC

So... I copied my xwyrite keyboard file to the directory
\nbdemo\users\default, and mofified the line loading the keyboard to
read:

load &user&xw.kbd=

And VOILA! My XyWrite keyboard is loaded.

That, and the tip someone gave here about dragging the command line to
the top of the screen, gives me a Note Bene version that works much
more like XyWrite.

in my XwWin startup file.

Here are the rest of the lines in the [Startup] section. The analogies
to Xwstart.int are obvious. Perhaps with some more fiddling I can get
more of my XyWrite customizations and tweakings to work in NB.

I'm nearer to reaching for my Mastercard to order the special for
XyWrite users on the NB website.

Steve

≪< "Myron Gochnauer"  10/ 5 6:05p ≫>
On 5 Oct 99, at 8:55, Nathan Sivin wrote:
> ... someone might just experiment by loading your XY
> keyboard in it (after first verifying that the heading is the
> same, or changing it in a copy), and then keeping track of how
> many of the key assignments in it work.

To keep from being all thumbs I did that, only to be stumped by a
lot of calls to my MNU, DLG and U2 files. Soooo, I loaded them
all. My U2 file is the Xywwweb.u2 version 44. I haven't worked
through things systematically, but a good deal of the XyWrite
routines work as expected (or fail in obvious ways). Perhaps we
*will* be able to use NBWin as a SmartWord/XyWrite substitute.

I compared NB.kbd line by line with my (customized) Xy4.kbd, and
they were *very* similar. The only functions that Xy4 did not
recognize were RM (on Shft-Esc), BL (Alt-Shft <) and
BR (Alt-Shft >). NB.kbd uses quite a few &X style calls to XPL
programs (I presume).

On the negative side, I've managed to crash NBWin quite a few
times (with default configuration), and in the middle of a large file
(500 K) inserting text is slow and jumpy on my 486SX/33. Screen
response (e.g. paging down) is decidedly slower than wiht XyWin
[and every other Xy generation expect maybe II ].

I hope the NB offer levers SmartWord out the door by the end of
this month...

Myron