searching with XPL

O Gurus of The Sublime Ex-Why, a humble question:

I have a great many files to process that have line endings
consisting of the string CR-CR-LF. At the command line it is
a relatively trivial task, albeit time-consuming, to CI this
into a standard XyWrite line ending: One gets the single musical
note (looks like a sixteenth to me, BTW) from the Help ASCII
Special menu and then presses Ctrl-Enter for the standard CR-LF
line ending.

The question is, can this same search/replace be effected in XPL
under III Plus 3.5x?

The sticking point seems to be entering the "bare" CR character,
that is, the one without its boon companion, LF. I've tried the
Scroll Lock method (no good), as well as opened my program with
a byte editor, outside of XyWrite, and tried both an ASCII 13
(0D hex) and the infamous three-byte string (FFh 30h 44h). In
all cases the error comes back as "Missing separator," implying
that XyWrite is processing any attempt to represent ASCII 13 as
if it were a func XC.

The only thing that works (and here's where my distaste for
inelegance gnaws at my pragmatism) is to force the XPL program
to step through the Help menu, using the following (continuous)
string; functions are denoted by XX* and non-keyboard chars by
how one enters them in XyWrite:

  BC*ci /SH*asCR*CR*CR*CR*CR*CR*CR*CR*CR*CR*CR*CR*[ScrollLock_On]
  [Enter][Alt-F9][Ctrl-Enter]/[Ctrl-Enter]/[F9]/[ScrollLock_Off]

As I said, it works -- but is there any less plug-ugly way to do it?
Any help, work-arounds, or fake-outs would be appreciated.

Stephen Moore
 essmo@xxxxxxxx   <*>   Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.