Re: Auto-Replace

Carl, I think Auto-Replace is working. To enable, you LOAD a spelling file
(PERS.SPL is a template), then issue func AZ (an ON|OFF toggle, as is func AC
AutoCorrect). It's all unnecessarily hard to decipher because XyQuest persists
in giving you (CRG p.3-84) the keystrokes and rodent movements for their KBD
and MNU files -- but if you're not using their stuff, you're out in the cold,
because AZ is nowhere referenced. As a general practice, it would be *so easy*
(so AZ) to mention function calls right alongside the pertinent "Format" and
"Menu" at top-page (as previously suggested many many MANY times, h?las). Note
(p.3-86) that they tout AutoExpand for its "distinct advantage" over
Auto-Replace, because it can selectively expand abbreviations (ah, the
irrepressible XyQuest wit). I think that what they now call AutoExpand is
actually func AR (aka what used to be known v3.56+ as "crippled AutoReplace" --
got that all straight?). What I can't figure out is how to get AutoCorrect
"wrong right" pairs to automatically append to the personal SPL file -- as far
as I can tell, that frame (summoned manually with func FS) is broken: I hit F6
(or whatever it is) and nothing happens. No append occurs. But note, there's
a distinct possibility that I don't know what I'm doing. Maybe I should load
at least the MINI.MNU, possibly it's necessary to the proper functioning of
some of this stuff. Speaking of which, where is MINI.MNU?? Are we supposed to
manually cull and extract it from XY4.DLG -- or is it hiding on one of the
disks and not part of the default install? Anyway, the heartening part is that
this is all pretty small potatoes. You can write with Xy4, whereas you
couldn't, for a long time, with Sig. Cheers