Re: Automated Clean-up of Ragged Text ?

On Thu, 02 Nov 2000 11:49:59 +0900 (JST), Stephen A. Carter wrote:

>This won't delete excess spaces, but it will clean up the carriage
>returns:
>
>----------
>asc1line = 1 line/para for ASCII--Maynard Hogg (09/02/87)

Unnecessary if you've got the Jumbo U2, which has the complementary
commands "putcr" and "unputcr" (used here constantly to ready text for
cutting-and-pasting into other applications).

I am a few Jumbo U2 versions behind, but I can't imagine they've changed
the functionality. I use putcr, for example, if I want to retain the
default margins I've used composing in Xywrite for, say, sending in an
email message. I'll use a scratch file in Xywrite in Draft view, then
define the paragraphs I want to mail, then execute PUTCR, which then
gives me hard returns, and nice clean (usually narrow) margins.

Likewise, when I paste copied text from the clipboard that has extraneous
hard returns in it, I define the pasted text and execute UNPUTCR.

Other tools in JUMBO.U2 can be used to clean up such text. For instance,
there's the incredibly useful "PutDF-CM." What this does is place
defined text up to the command line. I use it when the imported/pasted
text has scads of extra spaces (happens often when I copy things off web
sites via Netscape for OS/2) in conjunction with a quick keyboard
routine:

    bc,c,h,cr,/,/,/,cl,cl,NOJM,2,.,P,u,t,D,F,-,C,M,Q2,cr

If I define a big chunk of spaces from the l.-hand margin over to the
first word, then hit the key to which I've attached the above, what I get
is

	ch /        //

which I can execute to rid of all them spaces.

The Jumbo U2 file is extremely useful, but there's no alternative to
poring over it to get the usefulness out of it.

-Ray Tennenbaum