Re: New U2 frame DDIR

Reply to note from "Wengier W"  (Redacted
sender "wengierwu" for DMARC) Sun, 21 Aug 2016 18:24:46 +0000 (UTC)

Wengier and all,

> So it seems that the new DDIR frame contains all the features of LDIR.
> I am wondering if there is still any use for LDIR?

LDIR is part of a suite of LFN commands -- LCA*, LCD*, LDEL*, LERNV, LDIR*,
LME, LMKDIR, LNE*, LRD, LREN*, LRE*, LSA* -- all of which use the Windows
command processor to enable LFN operations in XyWrite. And while I
initially wrote DDIR to use Windows if 4DOS was not available, I've always
had misgivings about that choice. On reflection, I prefer to maintain a
clear distinction between U2 frames that use Windows and those that use
DOS. So now I've updated U2 to include a full suite of analogous commands
that use the DOS command processor: DCA*, DCD, DDEL*, DDIR*, DERNV, DMKDIR,
DME, DNE*, DRD, DRE*, DSA*.

Users running XyWrite 4 under vDos-lfn will prefer the "D" series of
commands, which are faster.

Another change that I've been thinking about for a while, and have finally
implemented, is to use NUL screens instead of [UNTITLED] screens to display
Windows/DOS command output in XyWrite. With [UNTITLED] screens I need to
open a new one every time, because there's no way to determine whether an
existing screen contains command output from a U2 command or the user's
information. With a NUL screen, I believe I can safely assume that any
existing screen contains command output, and reuse it. So now, if you want
to preserve command output and not have it overwritten, you will need to
save the NUL file with a new filename -- SA filename -- or just do
AF to automatically save it using the current date and time. I
think this makes sense for most users, but, if not, I can always revert to
the [UNTITLED] method.

U2 downloads:

New users (or users running U2 v122 or earlier):
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/XYWEB124.ZIP

Users running U2 v123 or v124:
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/U2VER124.ZIP

Updated Readme: