Re: OED

** Reply to message from Bill Troop  on
Fri, 17 Feb 2012 13:50:18 +0000

> I'm also not sure how complete the free [online] version is.

How about totally free? I do believe our OED website refers to
one or two kosher options, generously supplied by colleagues at
OUP...

Here's what I don't quite "get" about the *Historical* Thesaurus
(based on the OED): Why would anyone want to discover an
obsolete 16th century synonym for an obsolete 16th century noun?
Trying to recreate Shakespeare's lost/suppressed plays, or
something like that? As an idle exploration, it's doubtless
amusing. As a practical matter, it seems pointless. Bill?

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx