Xywrite Installation

I am trying to install XyWrite 4.017 on a friend's PC which is equipped with
Microsoft Millenium. All attempts failed: in each case I was told that I had
to exit Windows in order to run the relevant program: press any key and
continue; on doing this I was told that the MS-DOS program had terminated;
on clicking on the close button as instructed I was sent back to the
original instruction, ad infinitum.

Subsequently I found an IBM web page that said I had to install an
Additional Formats subcomponent, but the indicated hyperlinks ended up
biting each other's tail once again and similarly leading nowhere. Can you
tell me what I need to do? Should I consider upgrading to a newer version
of XyWrite?

I am sending this message via my friend's email. May I ask you to cc: your
reply to my address (mbd@xxxxxxxx)? With thanks for any help you can
give, and all good wishes,

Malcolm DeBevoise