Re: Hungarian conversion filters

I have had consistently excellent results using a now-outdated version of WordPort, from Advanced Computer Innovations, http://www.acii.comwww.acii.com.  My version only goes up to WP 7.0 and Word 6.0, but there has been at least one upgrade in the four years or so since I bought it.

Fred
----- Original Message -----
From: mailto:bill@xxxxxxxxBill Troop
Subject: Re: Hungarian conversion filters

http://users.datarealm.com/ammaze/xfer/filters.zip

>I need the best XY to Word and XY to RTF or similar
>conversion filters that I can find.

MS apparently does not have any Xy filters of its own. However, I have
noticed that WordPerfect 10 still has XyWrite filters. Has anyone used
them? It would be possible of course to export into rtf or Word format from
WP. I would imagine that these were the most up-to-date XyWrite filters,
and would love to hear if anyone has been using them, and comparing them to
the other options.

Speaking of the "Hungarian" filters on the site above, how up-to-date are
they? Somewhere I have an "Adobe File Utilities 1.0"  CD copies of which I
offered to anyone here who wanted them. I understand this is the last
formal iteration of these filters (unless they survive in some OEM form --
maybe Corel bought them? something like that?) Nobody responded and in the
meantime I have mislaid the CD. Given the way I live, it could be years
before it surfaced again.

In the meantime I continue to hope that the Nota Bene people will continue
to work to evolve the Xy-code into the present.

P.S. This from google: "Microsoft had quite a good translator available for
Word 2.0 (under XYWrite, which was pretty much the same thing as Nota
Bene). If you can borrow an old 2.0, with the added (free) translator, your
problems will be solved, as both Word 6 and WordPerfect6 can read Word 2
files."

Does anyone have this converter? I'd love a copy! If it's any good.

According to a Corel document, WP converts
190 XyWrite III Plus 3.55
191 XyWrite III Plus 3.56
192 XyWrite III Plus 4.0

I never knew III had a v. 4.0. Doesn't this mean 4.0?

FINALLY, this site

http://www.glinx.com/~grifwood/wsw2w4w.html

has what appears to be a connoisseur's guide to the W4W filters, and
indicates that the _most recent_ XyWrite filters were the .dlls that
shipped with Lotus WordPro 97, from late '96, covering Xy III, III Plus,
and Sig (i.e. presumably IV).

However, how would we get the .dlls to work if we didn't have access to the
program supplied with W4W or Adobe File Utilities? As I recall, XyWin uses
.exes, not .dlls?

Does anyone know the ultimate fate of the W4W code? When I quizzed the
Adobe product manager for the product, she said she simply did not know
what the ultimate disposition was. This was probably in '98, since Adobe
has not let me speak to their PR people since that time, due to our falling
out.