Re: SAVE/GETS FILE

Yes, I found this message late Friday, and have been putting together the
information you need. I can't guarantee that you will be able to write Save/Get
files in another application. You might find it better to write a little ASCII
file in another application, and then write an XPL program which runs when you
come into XyWrite. The program would find each line of the little file, define
it and save it as a Save/Get. This approach might, in the long run, be a WHOLE
lot easier than what I'm about to tell you.

The special coding for a Save/Get goes like this:
 (Length of save/get text+14: 2 bytes long) (ASCII 0) (Key assignment) (ASCII
0) (ASCII 0) (Length of save/get+6: 2 bytes long) (Text of save/get) (ASCII 0)
(ASCII 0) Length of save/get: 2 bytes long) (Key assignment) (ASCII 0)

For instance, to put the entire upper and lowercase alphabet onto Save/Get A,
the coding would be (using . as ASCII 0):

B..A..:.ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz..4.A.

Notice that where the coding calls for 2 bytes but I have only one, I add an
ASCII 0. The first "B" is ASCII 66 (52+14). The A is the key assignment. The
colon is ASCII 58 (52+6). The 4 near the end is ASCII 52. (52, of course, is
the length of the string).

I experimented a bit with this, and could make a save/get file which contained
a single save/get using Norton. I didn't take it beyond that. Have fun playing
with this. I don't have much more time to play with it. Let me know how it
works -- and consider my first suggestion!

---chris