Re: 3-byte char. and left-parsing

** Reply to note from TBaehr@xxxxxxxx Fri, 7 Mar 97 10:02:57 +0000

Yeah, well in this age of Pentium Pro 200's I suppose concatenating 2000
+X's to get the last byte of a 2K-length string is fast enough (especially
with CU...LB, which is quite snappy), but since I learned
programming in the horse-and-buggy era of 8088's, 286's and 386's I try to
avoid repeating loops where possible. Never take a millisecond to do what
can be done in a nanosecond, eh? Especially in a structured, modular
environment where some unknown routine may be calling yours a few thousand
times in a loop of its own. 3000 times a millisecond, 3 seconds, is,
well, an eternity....

BTW, ) avoids the crash on novalue -- keeping in mind, of course,
that the value returned will be inaccurate if actual length is > 77.

While I'm at it, let me correct a misstatement in my earlier post. I said
that SSE.PM tests for the space used as a SEarch separator. Well, it
doesn't. The space-as-separator doesn't work with the native
SE-across-files command, so I didn't attempt to implement it in my routine.

Carl Distefano * * * CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx