Re: hard numbers for fn

Phillip,

Years ago we wrote a macro to "disembed" XyWrite footnotes, since we
edit note files as a unit and also send them to our typesetters that
way. I have versions for both XyWrite 3+ and XyDOS 4/XyWindows. They do
just what you describe below--i.e., convert FN1s to incrementally
increasing superscript numbers and move the actual notes to another
location. (It has always been a mystery to me that no major word
processor gives one the ability to do this quickly and easily.)

If you'll let me know which version of XyWrite you're using and send
me an address, I'll be happy to send you a copy of our program. (I
would try attaching it to an e-mail, but I've never done that
with a program file and don't feel very confident about it; besides,
if I send it by mail I can include the instructions.)

--Pam Upton
Pamela Upton
Assistant Managing Editor
Univ. of N.C. Press