RE: Eliminate EOF (Ctrl-Z

Carl Distefano wrote:
Actually, the tip was mine (though the technique of concatenating
the subject file with a non-existent file indeed originates with
Robert).

REPLY: Thanks Carl, for the tip (originally attributed to Robert), and
for the continued thinking about EOF, which has led to the solu-
tion.

Carl Distefano wrote:
Wait a minute! Bingo! I got it. It *is* the EOF, pure and simple.
Remember, the mystery here was why TYFing with MAIL.PRN worked in
Xy4 but not Xy3 -- Outlook "found" the file created by 4 but not by
3. Well, it turns out that there IS a difference between the two
files (I just tested): You guessed it, the Xy3 file has the EOF!
Xy3 ignores the bare FE< specification in MAIL.PRN (meaning no end-
of-file char), whereas Xy4 honors it and produces a EOF-less file.

REPLY: But I misled you about EOF--unintentionally, of course. EOF was
present, after all, in the -txt file saved in Word; I just didn't
see it (despite its name, it wasn't at the end!). I just tried it again and
get (in Hex) OD 0A 1A 0D 0D.
EOF (=Hex 1A) was *not present,* however, in the file created by mail.prn in
Xy3. In other words, Xy3 does not ignore the bare FE< spec. However, when I
open the file created by Xy3 (EOF-less file) in Xy4, Xy4 *adds* EOF, and
that enables Outlook to see the file.

Hence, it turned out not to be a matter of zapping EOF, but of making
sure it was *present* in the output file after mail.prn is run.
FE< now concludes in my version of mail.prn with ascii-26.

In fact, the *only* file Outlook would not pull in was the file
created by mail.prn. Xy3 and Xy4dos files, saved in the usual
way, contain EOF, and Outlook imports them all.

Anyway, thanks for all the hints.

BTW, having struggled with this problem (as it turned out, unnecessarily),
I'd still like to know how to put lone 1-byte ascii-13's and 1-byte
ascii-10's into a XyWrite file.

Peter Brown
pbrown@xxxxxxxx