Re: Off-Topic -- Apparently intractable problem FIXED!

BrennerNY@xxxxxxxx wrote:

>   A list member magically fixed this problem for me over the phone by
> having me kill Normal.dot, the Word Templates folder. It had ballooned to
> 199KB by greedily absorbing the templates of every Word document ever sent to
> me, and was too fat to open Word anymore.

(Slaps forehead!) Oh, of course. Occam's Razor again. Or, as Holmes put it, "When
you have eliminaed the impossible, Watson, whatever remains, however improbable,
must be the truth."

> "computer guru" I earlier consulted was a professional computer tech, or
> "the cyberworld's equivalent of your Uncle Max, who told Cousin Amanda there
> was no reason for her family to hire a professional photographer for her
> wedding, and that he could do it for free. And you know how _those_ pix
> turned out."
>   He was a professional and he didn't solve my problem. The list is my
> equivalent of Uncle Max -- and in this case, Uncle Max is batting a thousand.
> (Yes, yes, I know many of you are computer professionals, but to me, you're
> Uncle Max.)

Hmm and hmm . . . well there it is. It's often the case that the technies know
the big stuff but not the day to day problems associated with Word. Or, as Uncle
Max might say in his own defense, "yeah, well maybe a professional would have
taken better pictures, but he wouldn't have known when Cousin Amanda was about to
flash that wonderful smile of hers, and when her mom was going to start to cry."

>   Many thanks!!

Glad for the happy ending.

lb136@xxxxxxxx
61 W. 62 St, NYC 10023
212-459-0600 X7109 (phone) 212-459-3677 (fax)