Re: "The Best Software...."

There is an adapter plug that converts to the PS-2 input (which seems to
be the new standard) and another that does the opposite, each for around
$3 or $4, as I recall. My 124-Key Programmable Keyboard works OK, but I
have ended up using the keyboard Gateway sent me, relying on key
assignments in my configuration of the Xy4 ".kbd" file. For outside Xy4 I
just write batch files (".bat"). Those are good workarounds.

You may not need your old ".pif" files, if you give Windows 98 free rein
with *lots* of RAM to manage. I think 128 has become fairly standard, but
I doubled it to 256. I have had no problems with running DOS programs.
Windows 98 itself is a mess and easily crashes when non-MS applications
are running (or even some MS ones, as witnessed by the Gates demonstration
before turning the program loose on the eager public).

DOS 7 seems to work quite well and seems little changed from DOS 6, except
that it permits long filenames, which I avoid. They didn't bother to
improve certain functions: the "rename" command still doesn't take
wildcards. Instead, use mren.com ("match-rename"), a freeware program that
works beautifully.