XY4 Memory Management

I have no doubt that you are making a serious effort to keep improving your
products. The news (on the XY BBS) that the deleted HELP Frame types are being
restored is a most welcome example. There are a few other items that come to
mind which would be similarly good news from Development. One hopes these
things come to pass before time runs out on XY4DOS. (Apparently not all DOS
products are immediately going the way of the Dodo. Lotus told me that their
DOS ver. 2.4 is still in enough demand that they have no present plans to dis-
continue it.)

Nevertheless, I wanted to mention that there are still memory manage- ment
problems with XY-4. The best place to see this is by shelling out to DOS and
returning. You might get away with this once, but probably not several times
in a row or several times in one session. XY then seems to be clobbering itself
in memory. Various things I may have loaded, like .Kbd macros, start going
haywire. It's like driving a car that's gone out of control. If I'm even able
to Quit, and get back to a DOS prompt, part of the Command Line will linger on
at top of screen, sort of like the Cheshire Cat, even though MEM /Classify
shows all or practically all memory has been reclaimed. (And woe betide anyone
who dares run even the most meager, minimalist
COM file utility while shelled out to DOS. Hara Kiri for sure.)

Now you might tell me that QEMM plays some role in this little drama. But I
have to use _some_ memory manager, to run XY-4 in a reasonable manner. And
anyway, I can show you some very old messages from others covering this very
problem, and chances are that not all of them happen to overlap my
configuration; this isn't a new observation.

I'm rather enjoying XY-4, since I began using it in earnest early this year.
But I don't drop down to DOS, something I never hesitated to do with 3.5x.