Re: Nota Bene 4.5?

Or maybe the particular Command processor in Win-7 (vs. older Win editions) has some role in this ?

The NB 3 or 4 program itself does not live on anywhere in archive such as OldApps, does it ?  It's been quite a while since I last checked.

   Jordan

From: Kari Eveli
To: xywrite@xxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: Nota Bene 4.5?

Carl,

I do not think that this is a Windows issue. I purchased the NB 4 update
and tested it at the time, but it was way too complicated to customize
compared to version 3. The color settings caused much trouble, and I had
to patch the EXE in order to get the colors I wanted. What may cause
problems is the fact that the program patches the nb.exe when color
settings are changed. There is a section in the exe with a list of hex
color values that change when the color settings are changed by the
change colors module. If the exe is in a state that is incompatible with
the current video environment, it might not start. And that might crash
the overlay. So it should be installed in a new video environment, not
just copied. In version 3, there is a bunch of OVL (overlay) files, in
version 4, is there just NB.OVR? I cannot remember, it is a long time.

Some version 4 related stuff is at:
http://cd.textfiles.com/simtel/simtel0595/DISC1/NOTABENE/

The NB list does not currently cover DOS NB matters, but it would be
nice if more of us DOS NB users joined:
http://h-net.msu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=NOTABENE

Best regards,

Kari Eveli