Re: DOS nostalgia

How do I get DOS + XYWRITEf onto VISTA?    kurt/Je-06-10
? Using a flash disk? my various DVD/CD DRIVES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE.  Thanks for the advice. kurt

In a message dated 4/7/2010 07:56:26 Pacific Daylight Time, jr_fox@xxxxxxxx writes:
--- On Wed, 4/7/10, Kari Eveli wrote:

> This strikes a chord. Nowadays you can have a complete DOS
> machine within your Windows machine. One needs an up-to-date
> browser and an email program, but for many computing chores
> a virtual DOS machine is very usable. Setting a virtual
> machine can be a bit tedious, but once complete you have
> access to your favorite applications. I still use XyWrite,
> DOS MS-Word, Xtree, Clipper, Brief, DOS batch files and
> utilities. Windows 3.1 applications like Quark, Ventura,
> Corel produce portable PostScript files you can distill
> using a modern version of Adobe Acrobat. You can have the
> best of both worlds under one hood. If you knew how to run
> DOS and Win 3.1, you can do it still today.

Not XTree, really, for other reasons.  It will choke and die
if you try to access -- for example -- the quantity of stuff
that would be found on a full CD.  Today's larger hard drives
would also be a 'No Go.'  Luckily there is ZTree, a lookalike,
work-alike successor, which is ready for today's file management
contingencies.

Jordan