Re: Substitute EOF marker (was Re: xy as html)

** Reply to note from Dorothy Day  05/13/96 01:02am -0500

>> Could you describe the NB procedure for changing
>> Ascii-26|Ctrl-Z to another character? Is it a default?

> Well, it can be set through a little menu routine that's unique to
> NB4.x, or you can place the following line in a file containing your
> defaults:
>
>   1A=@
>
> (where @ can be any character other than ^Z, which allows the editor to
> read past it, unlike the effect using the default ^Z has).

This rings many familiar bells, & yet seems odd too. Because, of course,
Sig aka Xy4 has a parallel default 1A, which does some of what you describe. It takes an
argument of 0 or 1: if 0 it honors 1Ah, if 1 it allows EDITOR to read past 1Ah; but it
does not set a substitute value for the 'EOF' character, nor does it inhibit _writing_ an
EOF character when
SAving|SToring files. In tests I've found that v4.017 can set default 1A to a character
like ";" (instead of to "0" or "1"); but that it doesn't do anything
useful.

I assume that you've actually done this in NB, and that it works per your schema? Strange
that Xy/NB would use the same nomenclature, yet have overlapping but different feature
sets. Maybe I'm doing something wrong...

Robert Holmgren