Re: writing html in xywrite

Steve Hayes writes:
≪ Are XPL programs macros?
≪
≪ Another problem with the versatility of XyWrite. I
would say that Save-Gets are what most other programs
call "macros". XPL programs are, well, programs. ≫

The term "macro" is extremely flexible, in my
experience. In Xy parlance, macro usually refers to a
simple XPL program consisting of recorded keystrokes or
a straight-forward series of functions and/or CMline
commands. Whereas "program" usually (though not always)
denotes a more complex set of instructions, including
logical or string operators, evaluative expressions,
conditional statements, loops, etc. I don't
associate "macros" with "Save/Gets", though there is a
keystroke-saving similarity. When Signature was
introduced, XyQuest tried to abandon the archaic-
sounding "Save/Get" for the more descriptive (though
somewhat misleading) "text macro", but, as far as I
know, the new terminology never caught on. What we call
Save/Gets the (generally speaking) less technical-minded
NotaBenieri designate as "Phrases", a non-descript
locution to my ear, but suum cuique (as those scholarly
users might protest).

In the WordPerfect world, the term "macro" covers
everything from a small batch of recorded keystrokes to
lengthy, structured scripts (there's another fluid term
for you). To my knowledge, they never use the
term "program", though clearly that's what the more
complicated scripts are.

In general, I'd say that each of the following
statements is true for all, most, some or no users, all,
most, some or none of the time:

All macros are programs, but not all programs are macros.
All programs are macros, but not all macros are programs.
All programs are macros, and all macros are programs.
Not all programs are macros, and not all macros are
programs.
None of the above.
All of the above.

Best wishes for a pellucid 2001.