Re: XY4 with Virtual PC

Dear Kari

Virtual PC 2007 will not normally install under Windows 2000 but there
is a simple procedure on the internet to edit the MSI installation file
so that it will not refuse to load if it detects w2k.  It uses a
program called Orca and is extremely straightforward. Afterwards, it
will install and, so far as I can see, it runs perfectly.

Installing w2k is exactly as on a new hard disk. You need to boot from
a floppy, or floppy image (I used a w2k boot disk) then partition the
virtual drive with fdisk, format it, and then install w2k from a CD as
usual. What else do you need to know?

Best wishes

Paul Breeze

Kari Eveli wrote:
I have recently used Virtual PC 2007 on my Windows 2000 machine to
create a Windows 98se installation in order to see how it will run XY4. Really? I was under the impression that you must have XP or Vista to run Virtual PC 2007.
This makes it feasible to run XY4 in a box at almost full screen, as
was possible when running Win98 as the native operating system. I get a similar result with Win 3.11 full screen and a DOS box. Win 3.11 is very nimble and looks and feels like the real thing. I recently switched my host system from W2K to XP and Virtual PC 2004 to 2007. Updating the Virtual PC setup was a simple matter of copying my Virtual hard disks.
If anybody else is interested and wants further details, I'll be happy
to oblige. A more detailed description would be appreciated. Best regards, Kari Eveli LEXITEC Book Publishing (Finland) lexitec@xxxxxxxx *** Lexitec Online *** English summary of our services: http://www.lexitec.fi/sitesummary.html FileOpen-based ebook packaging and support: http://www.lexitec.fi/fileopen.html Acrobat Reader Treasure Trove: http://www.lexitec.fi/acrobat-reader.html English-Finnish-English Computer Terms: http://www.lexitec.fi/glossary.html Home page (in Finnish): http://www.lexitec.fi/