Re: Just wondering

>   Out of curiosity, what do you DO with even nine windows of text open
> at a time? I've never opened more than four at once in my writing, and
> three is more typical. I'm interested to know how others use a capacity
> in XyWrite that I've always thought a bit "over the top."
>
> Thanks,
> Carlo

Carlo,

A very good question.

I might have the text of a chapter I'm working on in one window, notes
in a second, bibliography in a third, and perhaps some notes I'm keeping
for myself in a fourth.

The reason why would be simple: I would wish to make sure the work cited
is cited properly in both notes and bibliography, and, in the event it
isn't, I would wish to have the notes file open so that when I finished
editing I would remember to query the author about this in a cover
letter.

On some occasions, but not many, I might also have a fifth window
opened, which might contain an alternate version of one of the files
mentioned above. And, if I want to do a search across files, I might
grab a sixth. Finally, a colleague might put a file up on our LAN and
ask me to look at it briefly for whatever reason, so there would be a
seventh. But, as I say, these are unusual instances, and I would close
them almost immediately after making use of them.

So, for all intents and purposes, four would be the most I would have
open deliberately, and two or three would be more usual.

Still, it's nice to have flexibility, so long as speed and leanness of
code were not sacrificed for the sake of 36 windows. Or however many.

Hope this helps.

--
Leslie Bialler
Columbia University Press