Re: Xy4-Dosemu startup and quit tweaks

hi Paul --

just guessing -- but the feeling I had is that Alt-F4 closes the
selected application, then the focus rapidly switches to the previous
one, while Alt-F4 is still being pressed, thus shutting that one down as
well. as I say, a guess, but it seemed as though it would explain why
Alt-F4 closes two windows, and I *think* it's happened with other apps.
 (I must say, though -- Alt-F4 closes my dosemu whether it's running Xy
or not.)

it's one big reason for two desktops, the other being I need to get away
from three browser windows each with 8-9 tabs open, Thunderbird, jPilot,
and then a couple of Nautilus & gedit windows, maybe a terminal...

I've experienced a number of peculiarities with the Xy keyboard under
dosemu, but since my .kbd file has got vestiges from stuff two decades
old, am loath to point any fingers. I believe Dosemu makes a few
assignments that are non-standard: I filed a bug report about
Alt-Backspace, since I was so used to erasing the previous word with it,
and occasionally while running idkey.pm something unexpected will show
up -- often with dual-shifted keys. but again, my keyboard file is a
mess. also, there are apparently some dosemu experts who can
remap/recompile the keyboard, but I never figured out how.

thanks for the pointer to those utilities. Partimage seems to remind me
when I don't invoke it with sudo. (sometimes Linux feels like a very
pedantic game of "Simon Says.") I really don't know why it accused me of
having mounted that partition, unless perhaps the thumbdrive's fstab is
somehow to blame, but since I backed up successfully, I'm not going to
lose any sleep.

-rafe

Paul Lagasse wrote:
Hi Rafe -- I wondered if that was why XyWrite got its own desktop. My guess is that if you change yr XyWrite Alt+F4 keyboard line to null, Xy will stop closing if you close the window above. In one of my attempts to fix Alt+Tab, before I switched to Super+Tab, I removed the Tab character from the Tab key in the Alt section of the Xy4 keyboard file, and that did the trick. I don't think it's Ubuntu that's hypersensitive to the keyboard. Ubuntu's programs seem well-behaved, and I've never seen one respond to keystrokes entered in another program. It seems to be related to dosemu, but only when it's running another program. I've tested out Alt+F4 and Ctrl+c on dosemu, and when it's at a dos prompt or not running Xy4, it never closed; it's only when it's running XyWrite (or starting keystop) that my problems appear. I don't think I've had partimage complain that an unmounted partition was mounted; as best I can recall, that aspect has run smoothly. (I often run it off an unpowered usb hard drive that has a persistent Ubuntu install, which should be a similar situation to your thumbdrive.) I usually do stupid stuff like forgetting to run sudo, or not entering the path in addition to the filename of the image file I'm creating. BTW, if you've got a persistent Jaunty thumbdrive now, you can turn it into even more of a rescue drive (should you ever need that, and if you haven't already) by going to Ubuntu Rescue Remix and running the apt-get install command at the bottom of page http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/Software. I believe that convertfs doesn't install, but all the other tools do; you might need to remove that from the command to get it to run smoothly. I looked at Mendelson's WPDOS/Linux site a couple years ago, and at the time I think I too made the suggested hogthreshold change, but I reverted back when I didn't notice any difference. (And like you, I don't think that fiddling with the CPU setting makes any difference in how Xy runs; I have it set to 486 currently). I see the site's been thoroughly updated and expanded since then, and has many more suggestions that would have been helpful when I was running 7.04 and 7.10. I'll sit down and read through it again; thanks. Paul