Re: OFF TOPIC: Antivirus software for Windows

At 11:57 Uhr -0400 08.05.2002, Judith Davidsen wrote:
>As someone who has had trouble with both Norton and McAfee
>and now has no virus protection at all, I'd really like to
>see this discussion on-list. And since no XY topics seem to
>be demanding attention right now....

Am I the only one getting tired of these endless "virus" and "antivirus"
discussion?
I do not have an AV program, and I do not have a virus. In fact, I have not
seen a real virus since the old DOS days when there critters like boot
sector virii that came on floppies.

What the media today misleadingly calls "virus" are not virii at all, but
simply attachments that come by e-mail and do damage on computers when
people run them. I think the proper term is "Trojans".
So, just don´t run the damned things! That is all it takes. And do not run
around and complain if you stupidly use software that automatically runs
them (such as Microsoft OE with preview switched on).
What a meaningless hype. Sheesh!

Had to get that off my chest...

-- Rene von Rentzell, Tokyo (rrr @ twics.com)
-- "The power of accurate observation is commonly called
-- cynicism by those who have not got it." - George Bernard Shaw