Re: OT: Zone Alarm

I use Zone Alarm and have had no problems with it at all. I don't know
how much memory it uses, but it's extremely well-behaved.
Lynn Brenner

jr_fox@xxxxxxxx wrote:
I think someone mentioned this here recently. (Harry
?) The last time I had any experience with ZA was
years ago and on someone else's system. At home, I
use a hardware firewall box that seems to be more than
sufficient, so there was no real need for me to bother
with this for my own (limited) use of Windows. But
being on the road without that benefit is bringing me
back to consideration of ZA, or something else like
it.

My admittedly foggy recollection is that ZA ran fine
up until version 2.6, but some later versions had
performance problems (design changes, or bugs ?) that
bogged things down or really got in one's way to an
annoying degree. I recall reverting ZA to 2.6 for
someone, because of this. Well, that was quite some
time ago, and the current version is 7-something. A
program like this must undergo a software "arms race"
with the threats that it is supposed to be countering.
 Therefore, it may not be feasible to run such an old
version these days.
So here's the question: if any of you run a recent
version of ZA, is it well-behaved and not in your way
? And -- along the lines of the current "lean, mean"
thread -- will it be suitable for an older laptop with
limited memory. (The system requirements mention
128M, though I've actually got around three times
that, and could bump it up to a maximum of 512M.)

 Jordan