autosave

This morning when I called up a file I worked on yesterday, I found that
all of the revisions I made on the document yesterday were gone -- about
seven hours work. At the end of the day I wasn't able to quit xywrite
properly because the cursor had frozen but I'm quite sure that I saved the
work frequently as I went along. Even if I hadn't, however, isn't
"autosave" supposed to do it for me? (I have it set at something like 2
minutes because I'm so paranoid about losing stuff..) When I looked in
xy4\docs the document did not reflect the changes I made yesterday either
-- in fact, the time on the document was 2:01 pm which is the time I
started working on it.

-- My operating system is Windows 95
-- I work on Xywrite version 4.011 which I run in DOS (I know it's
considered buggy but I've been wanting to finish my current project before
I change and I haven't had this problem before.)

I can't imagine that it matters but my computer is a Fujitsu Lifebook.

Do I misunderstand what "autosave" actually does? Or, is something clearly
malfunctioning? I have been having more problems with "freezing" lately. Is
it possible that my revised document is somewhere to be found?

Thank you for any assistance you might be able to provide.