Re: Fw: overcoming the XP lag

At 11/4/2004 01:44 PM -0500, Avrom Fischer wrote:
I have a problem with xp in that when I exit xywrite my computer seems to freeze within the window for command prompt. I than do a to get to task manager and then I click end task I use xywrite 4.017, and have a pc with a gig of ram and and amd 2200 processor. I do not have the same problem when I exit other dos programs such as wordperfect or word for word or any other dos program. is this related to the problem called xp lag. any suggestions would be appreciated. I find many of the emails are over my head. I have started to read Xywrite 4Macros by Campbell and Allen. Is that a worthwhile book or would I be better of reading xywrite revealed by tyson.
As one of our experts here repeatedly points out, XyWrite for DOS was not written to perform in a Windows environment. We were able with tweaks to do well in W3.1-->W98SE, but began to experience various problems -- mostly screen and keyboard problems -- with the advent of XP. The problems come when you try to run XyWrite in a Window, or DosBox, as some here call it. If you run it full-screen, you essentially eliminate almost all the issues. What you are reading about in this thread is an attempt by experienced XyWrite users -- ah, let's make that *veteran* XyWrite users with varying degrees of computer experience -- to *force* the program to run in an XP Window, this to improve the screen appearance. In XP SP1 it was impossible to get smooth operation in a Window. With SP2 we are meeting with mixed results. These posts are essentially trying to figure out why our tweaks -- largely stumbled on -- are working. If we can figure it out, perhaps we can come up with a solution that does not require jerry-rigging. Meanwhile, to your point, the best way to learn how to set the program up to work in XP is to take a few hours and run a search at http://xywrite.org the XyList archive with a great search engine. There you will find many suggestions on creating shortcuts and the settings various folks use in the *properties* tab of the shortcut. If you get really lost, give a yell and I'm sure someone here will grab the essentials off the list and send them along. But they are really all there. Suggest a *field search* for XP. Lots of instructions on the site. Finally, the *Customization Guide* IMHO is the best book on Xywrite. Michael Norman