Re: Minor capslock bug...

Hi Patricia,

I'm using a standard desktop, Win98 SE, with a Microsoft keyboard. I forget the name for the type of plug for the keyboard, but it is the same type of plug I have had on every keyboard for the last seven years. It is not USB.

In her last email Patricia M. Godfrey wrote: >BUT when I first tried [goxy.exe], >I misread Carl's post (trying to read an LCD in sunlight) and was >typing open and close parens instead of open and close curly braces >around "self".
When I tried goxy.exe, I used the command as Carl suggested with the curly brackets. I got no result. I then entered at the DOS prompt:

goxy h

which loads the goxy.exe help file. In reviewing the commands described, I thought that maybe the command should be typed:

goxy.exe "{self}" /key(CO)

using caps for "CO". No luck. I then tried "Co". Again no luck.

This particular capslock bug is relatively harmless for me. As I said yesterday, the problem goes away when I press my XTRA control key. Since this key is the first thing I press almost every time anyway, the bug hasn't caused me any heartache.

Still, it would be nice to figure out why it is happening. I have combed both my startup.int and xy4.kbd files and can find nothing that strikes me as a cause. (Not that I am an expert. Something could very likely be there that I just don't recognize.)

There is another little quirk that might or might not be related to this issue. When I load Xy4, my startup.int ends with:

BX NEW email.txtQ2 *;*

so that I have a file to work with when I write my emails.

I have my command prompt at the top of the screen set to show the name and path of this file after the page number. After three seconds, however, the name and path disappear, and will only reappear if I hit my XTRA key plus another key, or toggle back and forth from expanded and draft format. I have gone through all of Xy4's preferences and settings.dfl and have failed to find anything that I can think of that might be causing the info on the prompt line to disappear after three seconds.

Once again, this bug is not very consequential, but it is annoying. I'd like to know what's causing it.

Bob
See my books and essays at:
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3cxxp/zimbib.htm