Re: Xywrite on a Linux machine...

Patricia M. Godfrey wrote:
The two Win machines can see the shared directories on the Linux machine, but they can't access them. I am still troubleshooting this as I learn my way through Linux.
Really? I'm surprised. I had thought Windows could not natively see the
Linux File system. But I suppose on a Network makes a difference. And,
as I said yesterday, Linux can read and wrote to Fat and Fat32, but read
only to NTFS. So if one wants common data, one should have a Fat32
partition for it, either on a Win box on the Network or on the Linux box
itself.

I agree. My understanding is that:

- out of the box mounting of Win filesystems
varies greatly with Linux distribution - commercial
ones like SLED and Xandros tending to be better
than 'free' ones. Xandros is one of the rare ones
to have a dual-pane file manager which readily
reads and writes Win partitions (no network
necessary).  Natively, Linux tends to restrict
access to files which don't have what it regards
as the correct permissions - something which
fat partitions can't have.

- with linux, if you know what you're doing,
anything is possible.
Junja