Re: Xy under OS/2 (Was: running xy 3+ under windows xp - aarrgghhh!)

GENERAL DISCLAIMER: Nothing I write here is meant in anyway to represent TTG
or its reincarnation. I am not endorsing any product. I am simply offering
my answers to Robert's questions.

Nota Bene has moved forward with adding more capabilities to its menuing
system. At one point, I believe Dave Erickson was working with them to get
some of the kinks out of the engine code. The menus are compiled VB that
hook into the editor engine. I can hear your next question coming, so my
answer is: I suppose it is possible to add your own menus if you know the
hooks. It is still possible to use XPL to develop menus. In fact, some of
the menus in SmartWords are still XPL, and the VB code is recognizable as an
"extension" of XPL. For example:

In XPL
BC ca filename XC

In VB:

With Xy
  .Text = "ca filename"
  .Execute
End With

XPL:
  DF NP DF

VB:
  Func (XyCursorDefine)
  Func (XyCursorNextParagraph)
  Func (XyCursorDefine)
(of course the first thing anyone in their right mind did was define some
constants for those ridiculous function names)

SmartWords's database capabilities allow you to create a library of phrases
or words that can be manipulated in structured documents. Its capabilities
are definitely slanted for the legal world. For example, you can specify a
person's name, gender, and address. SmartWords can then automatically use
pronouns correctly, format the name of the state or country you live in
correctly for different circumstances, etc. You can add levels of logic to
decide how to format stuff. Here is a simple example:

Date: ≪LG1{date of document,dd} <> 0≫≪GC{date of document,d1}≫{DATE OF
DOCUMENT,D1}≪GC≫≪LG?0{date of document,dd} = 0≫_______________®LG≫

LG is the logic command. GC means we're going to get something from the
database. The stuff in curly brackets is the name of the variable we're
going to get from the database. The stuff after the comma in the curly
braces (i.e., d1) is how we are going to format it. In this case, if we find
that the date of document doesn't equal 0, we're going to format in the d1
style and put it in the document. Otherwise, we're going to stick in some
underline characters so someone can manually fill in the date.

Nota Bene's database is completely different and I really don't know much
about it. Anyone looking to get more up-to-date stuff would do best to
purchase NB and replace the menus and keyboard file with something more
XyWrite-like. Keyboard files should work fine (you might have to add a line
so it recognizes the mouse). U2 files should work fine (but the wise person
would make sure -- don't take my word for it!)

When I said that you wouldn't get anything out of TTG, I knew that folks had
been trying for years and had given up. I just didn't want to raise any hope
that the revival of LawOnTheWeb.com meant any changes afoot for SmartWords
a.k.a. XyWrite. As far as XyShell/U2, it has been my experience that the few
times I have ventured a solution to a problem, the answer turns out to be to
use some routine deep in XyShell/U2/etc. However, I follow many discussions
with interest and am happy to offer my opinion from time to time. I remain
in contact with several people from the good old days, and it is safe to say
we all wish we were back at Xyquest.

Chris