Re: OT: Books on writing?

flash wrote:
down to specifying _two_ spaces after a full stop,
Yikes! the (US) Government Printing Office Style Manual and words
Into Type dropped that back in the 1950s or so.
and, of course, Fowler (not the revised
edition by Ernest Gower).

Gowers's rev. stuck quite close to Fowler's original, merely
cleaning up such things as Fowler's amusing unawareness of the
existence of the en dash (he suggested the invention of two kinds
of hyphen, not knowing that one of them already existed in the en
dash). It's the more recent "revision" by Burchfield (I think
that's how it's spelled) that has Fowler-lovers fuming. It's not
a bad book. But it utterly lacks a word of the original, or any
of Fowler's charming, quintessentially British quirkiness.

> Either you've got something to say or you haven't. If you
> haven't and you say it anyway, it's twaddle no matter how
> elegantly you put it.

Very good!
--
Patricia M. Godfrey