Tenor and tone

Hi all

At the risk of being flamed myself, I have to chuck in my tuppence-worth. I
personally find the tone people use in all newsgroups heavy-handed to the
point of rudeness. I often ask if people would speak to each other like
this face to face, and the answer is, of course, no. In newsgroups they
hide behind the fact that they're effectively anonymous and have the shield
of cyberspace behind which to hide. I would never, ever speak to anyone the
way some of the XyWriters talk to each other: via e-mail or personally.

There's an attitude, it seems, that if you want to enter into dialogue and
be part of the group, this approach and tenor is something you have to live
with. Those who complain about it are flamed. Is that cool? I think not.

In addition, by dwelling on tiny points of detail and scoring endless
points against each other in the overall dialogue rather than offline, some
of the members show themselves to be extremely limited thinkers.

Come on, guys, life's far bigger and composed of weightier issues than you
make it out to be.

The Gilbert & Sullivan parody was spot-on.

Frank