Re: Windows NT (removing Internet Explorer)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dorothy Day"
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2000 1:19 AM
Subject: Re: Windows NT (removing Internet Explorer)

> > But to play devil's advocate, the "contest" between IE and Netscape
> > may well be over by now. I'm seeing steady increases in the number of
> > websites that suggest (or even require) IE for proper viewing, and
> > encountering more and more sites which apparantly cause my system to
> > lock up when using Netscape. I don't particularly like the Microsoft
> > browser, but I've gotten very tired of rebooting my computer every
> > hour or so.
>
> Then the creators of those sites are terribly short-sighted. As
> prominent usability engineer Jakob Nielsen has pointed out repeatedly,
> users are slow to give up older browser versions. Unless site owners
> want to discourage visits to their sites by massive numbers of potential
> audience, they must accomodate a reasonably broad range of browser usage.

I didn't say this was a particularly clever move. In fact, I regard the
people
who discriminate against the "kewlest" browsers as jerks, as well as
illiterates.
But they exist.

Bear in mind, however, I'm not thinking so much of sites that try to get a
mass audience, but warez and hacker sites. where it's a reasonable
presumption that site visitors are comfortable with software changes.

> If you're getting a lot of crashes in Netscape, try quitting and
> deleting both the history file (netscape.hst) and the *entire* contents
> of your cache directory. Residual bits of ill-behaved Javascript can
> continue to play havoc with later pages, and that simple cleanup can
> restore you to smooth browsing--till another time...

In fact, I had been deleting the disk cache files every couple of hours,
but I hadn't thought about the netscape.hst file. Maybe I'll try it.

Thanks for the advice.