Re: XYWRITE digest 1044

XyWriters-
Responding to a few of the messages returned concerning diacritics. 1) ASCII does recognize diacritical marks. Check the XyWrite manual Appendix A and you'll see that ASCII 128-168 show standard Western European diacritics. 2) as to Nathan Sivin's concern re the macron over romanized Japanese, these can be made, and I do them, because Latvian also has the same characters. In my printer file, in the substitution table, they are coded as:

a, alt-shift008, alt-shift250
for a with a macron, where alt-shift represents ASCII 008 and ASCII 250, etc. You have to find an ASCII character to "represent" it on the screen and then in the width table of the printer file assign the same width to those letters as to the unaccented Latin character, and finally 3) I also use Eudora and you can get the diacritics into your message in one of two ways - write it in MS Word (horrors) and cut/paste it in Eudora, or use MS Office Accessories Character Map and cut/paste from there.

Bill