Re: Rescue Xy3

≪ Programability is the main reason to use XyWrite,
IMO, and in that arena, Xy4+ is incontestably superior.
And that's an opinion I would enjoy to debate, if
anyone with an opposing view cares to engage ... ≫

I simply cannot imagine taking the trouble to flame
my previous word processor ... but whatever gets you
through the night. Bash away, Robert. Some might even
find your response whenever xyW3 is mentioned a trifle
Pavlovian. Me, I'll just note that I wouldn't use it
either if what you're forever saying about it were
true. But I've slain xpl dragons real and imagined
that evaded you those many years ago when you used xyW3.
While my reality is inconsistent with your opinion,
your opinion surely must reassure xyDos4 users.

Art Campbell's xyW3 reference includes code that easily
a dozen xpl programmers posted to a forum. Who knows how
many more didn't make the cut? How far we've come even
from the time Tim sponsored a contest here among xpl
programmers. Now that he no longer offers public code
and Harry has unsubscribed, who publishes xyW4 xpl?
Most subscribers who post to this list use xyDos4.
Anyone but Shawn, you, and Carl who programs it does
so only with the closet door closed tight. Why, a
skeptic might ask, if xy4+ programmability is superior,
was xyW3 xpl a community enterprise while xyW4 xpl
is mostly about xyWWWeb dependency? Some people might
wonder whether xyW4 xpl is by comparison the language
of exclusion. How does one test programmability?
Is the proportion of users who steadily revitalize
the language and sharpen their skills by rolling
their own, sharing, comparing, irrelevant?

If you're convinced that a superior release is
one that converts user programming from a cheerful
free-for-all into an activity whereby a tiny elite
serves passive consumers, well, thanks for sharing
that opinion. I fail to see what useful purpose
debating it would serve. ... Ciao. 		--a

	xyWrite 3 supplements !xyWise and !xyWiz +
	Wolfgang Bechstein's seafaring adventures: