Re: search subdirectories

Judith Davidsen writes

For instance, I want to find Dilmaghani in the directory NYT
and all NYT's subdirectories. The dialog box in Powerdesk is
the same as the dialog box in explorer, and both give me the
names of 23 files. In both Powerdesk and Explorer I then
have to open each and every one of those 23 files (in
Wordpad) and conduct an individual search for dilmaghani in
every one of them. When I'm working there is no time to
manually search 23 files whenever I need to double check a
name or an address or a phone number or a spelling or piece
of tech info or whether someone died so maybe I shouldn't
ask to speak to him.

Actually Judith, PowerDesk (paid edition) has a view pane, a button, which opens the file in the bottom half of the search window (even in the file finder dialog box) as you highlight each file in the list, and if all you want to do is see the information in the files you have pulled up with the search, it's the thing for you. I think you can also clip and paste (to Win's clipboard) the info talked about above. There is another, more expensive alternative, dtSearch, an indexing program very useful in retrieving information. I work with long interview transcripts. On my first project years ago I used XyDos's fast search, then cut and pasted between windows. This time we are experimenting with dtSearch's (text indexing) ability to pull the highlighted word and any number of words or graphs on either side of it and put it all in one file (a report, they call it) which can be opened in MSWord or in our favorite ASCII WP. If you save the report to the Windows clipboard and use the Rexx solution Carl and Bob have talked about, you can go, jerry-rigged, between the two programs. It sounds clunky but works fine, though certainly is not as clean and elegant as working from within XyDos for the whole thing, but I don't think that's possible...at this point.

Michael Norman