re XYWIN CUSTOMI

:   PC Quark xtags--Quark's native text format--
:   is Windows ANSI.

Chet: In winQXP XTags coding,  evokes the Mac char set,
--an error condition in my book ;) --turns on the Windows
ANSI set.

:   If you have any doubts, take a PC Quark-generated : xtag
document and port it as Windows ANSI into WP : for Win 6.1.
Quotes, em dashes, etc., come in beautifully.

Can't. I have no access to WPWin nor do I expect to. If I install
a Windows word processor other than xyWin it will be winWord--to
my mind next best to xyW for publishing. Does that also apply to
files exported by Mac QXP?

:   Your own printer file definitions, which you : gave a while
ago here, include the Windows ANSI :   assignments for typographic
quotes, not the Mac.

I don't think so. As I recall, when you tried them they
produced--as received by AO--about 50 ascii 30s surrounded by
incoherent garbage. They must be used with a winQuark  call,
but it just wasn't worth exploring further if the way you use
XTags suits you. I want XTags coding that doesn't have to be
recast for Mac QXP.

:   Whether the Windows ANSI set is fortunate or : unfortunate,
it is the basis for communicating :   with other Windows programs.

Leslie's xyWrite files go directly to Mac QXP--a common situation
since Macs still dominate dtp.

:   I recently convinced a publishing department to switch :  fro
m WordPerfect to Microsoft Word, because WordPerfect's :  redlinin
g is primitive at best. Sure, I'd've preferred :   to see it switch
to XyWrite, but in my dealing with all : types of files from all
types of word processors, compatibility :   is a major factor, and
XyWrite isn't 100% in accepting : Windows ANSI.

To keep things in persective, I hope that implicit in what I
wrote before--referring to usage by three subscribers (in a total
sampling of fewer than 80 xyWrite users)--is that I would expect
our preferences to be incidental to a decision like the choice of
character set.  --annie

========================== annie fisher  nyc