Re: We should [NOT] move en masse to Nota Bene (sorry Anne!)

> In XP under Parallels with Win 7 as host machine, I mapped the
> host c: drive to x:, and I just did dir x:\ in Xy4 and the
> directory came up instantly.

For the record, what mapping procedure did you use? Did you do

NET USE X: \\COMPUTERNAME\SHARENAME

on the host machine? Something else? Was any further step required?
Parallels does it all automatically. What I did was unnecessary. After a
fresh reboot of the VM, Net use says:
 Y: \\psf\Home
 Z: \\psf\Host

"psf" stands for "Parallels Shared Folders"
and Home is a folder with some system stuff and some folders, e.g., Desktop, that I do recognize.. But Host is the root directory of the host machine.
To go the other way around, that is, to let Win 7 refer to the guest XP via
a drive letter, it's complicated:
Start/Computer (highlight but don't click)/Properties/Map Network Drive/

In the Map Network drive dlg box:
Drive: [Your choice of drive-letter, I chose "X" for "XP"]
Folder: \\[The UNC computer name of the virtual machine]\[Name of folder--e.g., C]
Net result: in the VM, Z: refers to the host's C: drive, in the host, X:
refers to the VM's C: drive.

Again, the first mapping (Z:) seems to be automatic within Parallels.