Re: OT: Zone Alarm

J R FOX wrote:
But
being on the road without that benefit is bringing me
back to consideration of ZA, or something else like
it.
Absolutely. Without a hardware FW, your ports are being probed
continually.
My admittedly foggy recollection is that ZA ran fine
up until version 2.6, but some later versions had
performance problems (design changes, or bugs ?)
First of all, like many other security apps, the free version of
ZA is, from our point of view, BETTER than the paid. Esp. if you
don't have broadband. (The paid versions are forever trying to
update themselves, tying up your system. The free can tell you're
not on line and don't bother.)
I'm running ver. 3.7.193 on my desktop, on both XP (Home) and
98SE. I think I have a later vers. on the W2K box at the office.
Neither is really intrusive. Both boxes have 512 Mb RAM, the
home one because it dual boots to 98SE, which cannot (or so I'm
told) take any more RAM, and the W2K box because I didn't realize
how much RAM it really needs when we got it. Home definitely has
a discrete VGA card, with some RAM of its own (forget the exact
figure); I think the office one does too, but am not sure.
If you cannot find Vers. 3.7.193, I can send you a copy (next
Tues, when I'm in the DSL equipped office).
--
Patricia M. Godfrey
priscamg@xxxxxxxx