RE: Fastest mode in XyWin vs Xy4 (was RE: Change Invisibles: migrating ...)

>>... Xy4 is optimized for speed in eXPanded view (unlike
>>XyWin, which runs faster in graphics view).
>
>Really? That's not my experience (though I seldom do really heavy editing
>in XyWin -- I tend to work in Xy4 and just switch into XyWin to polish &
>print).
>
>Eric Van Tassel

You wouldn't notice the difference in manual editing. I was speaking of
repeated operations which are automated via XPL. Especially programs that
repeatedly DeFine text, operate on it, then unDeFine -- there's a tremendous
speed differential there, especially in XyWin (graphics vs. draft or eXPanded
view). You can test this for yourself with the TLOOPS routine in XyWWWeb.
Although Paul's routine doesn't have DF blocks, flipping into eXPanded view
might still help.

The more I think about it, though, the more it seems to me that, if there's an
*obvious* explanation for Paul's problem, it's probably the failure to turn on
Error Suppression. In Xy3 the ES command is buggy as the dickens and there
are some situations where you absolutely must turn it off to avoid anomalous
results (search-and-replace may be one of them -- I forget). The bugs were
quashed in Xy4 and ES can now be freely used. What's more, the failure to use
it can cripple a program because of default WA, which regulates the length of
time Xy displays an error message before restoring control to the user. If WA
has a value greater than zero, program execution *stops* for what in
programming terms is an eternity *every time* a command sets the error
condition -- it's the kiss of death for many routines. Fortunately, the
solution is simple: insert
BX es 1Q2 at the top of the routine and the problem goes away. You don't even
have to command BX es 0Q2 on EXit; Xy4 handles that automatically. But,
before I spin my wheels any further, let's wait for feedback from Paul.

Carl Distefano
cldxtra@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/