Stopping USB drives from XY4

I have recently begun to use USB flash drives instead of 3.5 inch discs as a regular backup medium when working in XY. Since I normally keep two backups, I have to stop the current USB drive every so often (in Windows 2000) so that I can swap them over. This requires switching from XY4, which I normally run full-screen, to windows in order to use the system tray "unplug or eject hardware" icon. While this is hardly an onerous task it would be nice if it could be accomplished from within XY4 but I have been unable, so far, to find a means of accomplishing this. (I have tried a Microsoft command line program called DEVCON.EXE and also another command line routine involving rundll32.exe but neither really helped.) Does anybody know if there is a solution to this?

Thanks

Paul Breeze