Re: Getting Xy4Dos Up & Running on T61 with XP-Pro

Peter,
To combine with Carl's post: you can edit STARTUP.INT in Notepad. In fact, all you want to do, can be done at the DOS prompt:

copy c:startup.int startup.sav
copy con startup.int
^Z
That will first save your startup.int as startup.sav, then make a new blank file (overwriting the old startup.int).
Now you have a blank startup.int, so you can try launching EDITOR.EXE from
the DOS prompt. Then, assuming it does launch, try out each line in
STARTUP.SAV, as Carl suggested, on the command line (or try copying one by
one the lines into your new STARTUP.INT).
As to the Run Normal Window--the "Run" there is not the Run command from
the Start menu, but a word that appears before a field in the Properties
tab for Program.
If you can't launch Xy from a DOS prompt *with a blank startup.int* then
the only possibility I can think of is a corrupted EDITOR.EXE file. But
let's wait on that.
Sorry; I should have mentioned that I did try that -- starting directly from a c: prompt, both by issuing "cmd" in Run, and by interrupting a restart in "Safe Mode with Command Prompt". Both produced the same result - a brief flash of the Xy4 screen and then shut down. I don't understand how I can really look at and edit my Startup.int without having Xy running: in Notepad for example, I can't see the BX at the beginning of the lines or the Q2 at the end. Windows notepad just displays a y with what looks like an umlaut over it, followed by a comma, instead of either. How do I know the commands are really there and capable of being recognized by Editor? I can't answer your question about whether Run is "set" to Normal Windows, because I didn't know you could "set" any features of Run, and don't know how. I should also say that I first tried to find advice in the Xy Archive on setting up Xy4Dos under XP-Pro and all of my search terms returns 0 hits, so either the Archive or I was doing something wrong. I tried browsing through 2000 and 2001, which did work, but didn't locate anything useful. --Peter

Harry Binswanger wrote:
The shortcut is simply "c:\xy4\editor.exe".

Might try entering something in working directory--either c:\xy4 or c:\xy

Also, is Run set to Normal Window?

Other settings (for other Properties tabs) are somewhere in the Xy Archives.
It occurs to me belatedly that the obvious first thing to try is getting a DOS prompt, CD-ing to C:\Xy4 and launching EDITOR.EXE from there.
If that doesn't work, seems like it must be your STARTUP.INT, so to debug
it (even though you think it's ok), try an empty one and add things back
until it works. You can comment out all the lines by preceding each with
a ;*; then erase them in sequence. But the first thing to try is
launching EDITOR from a regular DOS prompt.
I'll try the empty startup.int if you'll give me an idea of how that will help -- is it to try to isolate a bad line in the startup? If so, I did read through it line by line to try to find anything directing Editor to go somewhere unavailable or the like. --Peter Goldberger

Harry Binswanger wrote:
What are the exact contents of your shortcut (under Properties/Program).

Also, try it with an empty startup.int.

I have the Lenovo X61 with the same OS as you. No problem running it.
Couldn't hurt to check your Path to ensure C:\XY4 is in there--not that it really has to be.
In a few days I begin an extended trip for the first time since I got my Lenovo T61 with XP-ProSP2. I ordinarily use Xy4Dos on a desktop running Windows 98SE, and have to put the Xy onto the laptop now for the first time. (Then I will add U2.) On the desktop I have all the program files in a \Xy4 directory and documents/work in a \xy directory. I created a c:\xy4 directory on the laptop and copied all the contents of my \xy4 directory from the desktop onto the laptop, and then created a desktop shortcut that goes to c:\xy4 and runs the command "editor". I see a dos window open and what I imagine is the XyWrite working screen, but only for a second -- and then it shuts down, and I'm back in Windows where I started. Suggestions on what to check, and what settings I might have wrong and where? -- Peter Goldberger, Ardmore, PA

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx

Harry Binswanger
hb@xxxxxxxx