Re: OS2 Warp vs Win95

Reply to note from "'A. Joseph Ross'"  Sun, 19
Apr 1998 23:26:15 -0400 (EDT)

-> > Very Kafkaesque. Is your default display type Page-Line Number
-> > (DT=2)? There are known screen-refresh problems in this display
-> > type. Moreover, by even mentioning the problem, you have gotten
-> > yourself into deep trouble, and you should seriously consider
-> > metamorphosing into a fly.
->
-> I don't know, I'll have to check. I'm not sure I know what it
-> means, anyway.

In other words, in your normal editing mode, does Xy display the page
and line numbers to the right of the filename? And is this the mode
you're using when you see "gaps" in text highlighting? If so, the
next time it happens, you might try repeating the DeFine operation in
Draft view (the command is FUNC WG; to return to Page-Line view,
command FUNC SP). If the problem disappears, then in all likelihood
it's another manifestation of the faulty screen refresh associated
with Page-Line view.

As an experiment, you might try adding a func FF to the relevant key
assignments. A quick and harmless way is to CAll your .KBD file and
issue the following command from the top of the file:

CI |DZ|DZFF|

SAve and reLOAD the .KBD file. A long shot, but worth a try.

My cryptic reference to DT=2 has to do with default Display Types,
i.e., the document "view" that Xy uses when you open a file with a
CAll or REad command. You can find out the current DT setting by
issuing the command VA/NV DT. Some commonly-used values are:

 0 = Expanded view
 1 = Draft
 2 = Page-Line
 4 = Graphical view
 9 = Draft view, no markers
10 = Page-Line view, no markers
12 = Graphical view, no markers

There are a number of ways to set the default Display Type.
Typically, it's set at startup, in SETTINGS.DFL (df dt=n) or
STARTUP.INT (BX_d dt=nQ2_;*;). You can change the DT setting mid-
session, by issuing D DT=n from the command line.

A neat, undocumented feature of Xy4|XyWin lets you override the
current default by appending the desired value to your CAll or REad
command. Thus, if your default is 2 (Page-Line), and you want to edit
the next file in Draft view, you'd issue CA/1 my.doc. (Wrinkle
with expanded view: the switch is /100, not /0 as you'd expect.)

Carl Distefano
CLDistefano@xxxxxxxx
http://users.datarealm.com/xywwweb/