Problems With XyWrite Version 4.014

From: Dick Williams (RUUA11A@xxxxxxxx)
To:  XyWrite Tech Support

1. I am currently running XyWrite version 4.014, Serial Number
428-0608-556-A. At present I am experiencing some problems using
a four-column list created with the "CT" (Create Table) command,
and also with the function which converts other word processor
files to XyWrite format. The problems are as follows:

  a. CT problem - this is a hard one to pinpoint since it's
one of those things which doesn't happen all the time, and
doesn't seem to be consistent. When I'm working in formatted
view, there are times (usually when I'm moving information
around) when the display will become so jumbled that it can't be
read. For example, there might be a page break showing on the
screen, but it will only run about 75% of the way across. The other
25% will show somewhere else on the screen. Text is also
scrambled, with half a column appearing in one place on the
screen, and the other half somewhere else--or not at all.

    Also, there are times when I move a few items with no
trouble, but when I try to move one more, my keyboard locks up
and I have to reboot in order to get out of the file. The last
time this happened I eventually got a message that said my disk
was full and that I should make space on my c: drive. Later
inspection showed that there was a ton of room on the disk.

   Finally, my most recent problem occurred with a page break
where no page break was required or desired. I could find no
page break character anywhere, I had not entered one, but there
it was. The only way I could get around it was to finally move
the data--one page at a time--to a new file. Same data, same
format, no page break in the new file.

  b. The Word-processor-conversion problem - This one I just
discovered recently. If I try to open a file that was written in
a word processor other than XyWrite, unless I correctly specify
the version of the other word processor, my keyboard locks up,
requiring me to reboot. For example, if I'm opening a
WordPerfect version 5.0 file and I tell XyWrite that it's version
5.1, I get the message that says conversion is taking place, but
nothing ever happens after that. Then my keyboard locks up,
leaving me no recourse but to reboot.

    Now I realize that I should know which version of another
word processor I'm working with, but if I don't and make an
incorrect guess it seems to me that I should get an error
message, not a situation which requires me to reboot.

2. With all of that explained, I have the following questions:

  a. Are these known problems and is there a XyWrite upgrade
which fixes them?

  b. If so, how do I go about getting this upgrade?

  c. If not, what do you suggest I do? The word processor
conversion is not something that I do a lot, but I frequently use
the file with the CT table in it, and it's really becoming
annoying that the only way I can be sure it won't self-destruct
is to work in expanded view rather than formatted view (and even
that is no guarantee that trouble won't occur).

3. I await your reply. Thank you.

                Sincerely,

                DICK WILLIAMS