Re: Northgate keyboards, their clones & successors

** Reply to message from jr_fox@xxxxxxxx on Sun, 14 Jan 2001 12:19:51 -0800

> Thanks, Robert, but I do not use Win9x at all -- just NT-4, and that
> infrequently. For that reason and others, the only solution that appeals to me
> is a hardware one, involving physically changing the keys.

Regardless of how you make the changes (which are all "hardware"
changes, to the keyboard's ROM), you have to swap key caps.

> I hope that the
> "manual" method to which you refer is very similar to the way the NG-102's did
> it. That was absolutely certain and failsafe: set the alternate dipswitch
> settings and the key layout _is_ changed, no matter what app. or O.S. you bring
> up, no matter what (compatible) system you move the keyboard to.

Absolutely portable across platforms and 100% effective. No
dipswitches, instead keystroke combinations -- but same result. I'm
telling you, this IS the Northgate 102 or Omni, only improved as to
construction, durability, software, etc. They ACTUALLY bought the
mold; where the old NG dipswitches used to be, under a little door at
top left of the kbd, there is now the same little door -- with nothing
underneath (because programming is accomplished differently now).

Robert Holmgren
holmgren@xxxxxxxx