Re: unwrapa and space after period

Mon, 20 May 2002 20:33:27 -0800
"J. R. Fox"

> Patricia M Godfrey wrote:
>> Unfortunately, since about 1965, typography has moved
>> away from the double space after periods and question marks, even when
>> they end sentences.

> Unfortunately is right. That's the way I learned to type. It's a helluva
> lot more readable, and it looks better. I'm very sorry to see it go.
> Jordan

Right now I'm editing an ms mess full of abbreviations & acronyms, &
the single space between sentences often leads to real (if brief)
confusion. Contrived example: `. . . in the years B.C. Allen says
(page 54) . . .'

It's both good & bad that I'm using vi (under Linux), which tends to
force the double space; that's how vi defines a sentence.

Wendell