Bitcom help

  I am trying to communicate via computer with a friend in another
city. My friend, who is not a computer adept, uses (yuck) Bitcom on is
hard-disk-equipped 286. We managed to connect at 2400 baud, 8N1, but
neither of us could see what we typed on our screens, nor could we get
a linefeed with carriage return. I know the problem is that I'm at full
duplex and he's at half duplex, so he's got to configure his defaults
to give himself full duplex and LF with CR. Does *anybody* out there
have access to a Bitcom manual? My friend has one, but he says the
manual says nothing about duplexes (he *is* a babe in the woods). Any
aid would be much appreciated.